Monday, August 10, 2009

Lessons from a beagle

My daughter's beagle, Barkley, is living with us at the moment.

We came home on Saturday evening and I decided to let him out, expecting he would come home when it got dark.

Unfortunately Barkley did what beagles do, put his nose to the ground, got the scent of a rabbit and preceded to spend the next 14 hours howling around us and the neighbours in pursuit of one or more rabbits.

It was a very still evening so Barkley's howls echoed around West Lake Ainslie. I went out every hour or so to try and catch him. He would run close to me, but was oblivious to my presence as his basic instincts took over. Once a beagle gets a scent nothing will distract him from that.

Eventually exhaustion kicked in and Barkley dragged himself home on Sunday morning.

I am a bit like Barkley; God is trying to get my attention and He knows what is best for me, but I am so distracted by whatever that I do not even notice His presence. It is only after I have exhausted all other avenues that I crawl exhausted back to Him.

His arms are always open wide to welcome me home.

I'm a prodigal Barkley.

1 comment:

  1. Very good analogy! Shouldn't we be a little quicker to catch on than a hound though?

    ReplyDelete